Sunday, November 22, 2009

I met the Master face to face

I had walked life’s way with an easy tread,
I’d followed where pleasures and comforts lead,
Until one day, in a quiet place,
I met the Master face to face.

With station and rank and wealth for my goal,
Much thought for my body but none for my soul,
I had entered to win in life’s big race,
When I met the Master face to face.

I had built my castles, reared them high,
Till their towers had pierced the blue of the sky;
I had sworn to rule with an iron mace
When I met my Master face to face.

I met him and knew him and blushed to see
That his eyes full of sorrow were fixed upon me.
I faltered and fell at his feet that day,
While my castles melted and vanished away;

Melted and vanished; and in their place
I saw naught else but my Master's face;
And I cried aloud: "Oh, make me meet
To follow the marks of Thy wounded feet."

My thought is now for the souls of men;
I have lost my life to find it again,
E’er since that day in a quiet place
I met the Master face to face.

Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment